Friday, April 8, 2011

Shkunta


I am officially 3 years old in Morocco I have played hide and seek, jumped rope and nearly peed my pants when the donkey kicked out his hind legs in an attempt to ward away my curiosity. That, and my language skills amount to phrases such as " Bread, Good!" "I want sleep" and "Tea, Good! I am sure I am a delight to my host family. Actually, the people in my village are really wonderful and accommodating to us. I also have a twelve year old uncle who has become a friend, largely because we have the same digital casio watch that he likes to sync the time to the second. A few days ago I was sitting in my room and looked up to see a small person wearing a Jleba (traditional berber costume which looks like a wizards gown) materialize before me. After a few seconds he boomed beneath his cloak "SHKUNTA!!" (meaning who are you).

 I now find myself reflecting on that question. My host family immediately renamed me upon introduction. I am now Souffyen (meaning the chosen one, among other less awesome meanings). However, I am confident or at the very least hopeful that someday soon I will be able to develop into a 23 (soon 24) year old Moroccan.

Okay, I am going back to Chewbacca now, but will place some pictures below the post.


                                           I am fortunate to have running water


                 My host brother Oussama practicing some non verbal communication and hand gestures


                                                             Abderrahim and Fatima
                                                                  Halima and Oussama
                                                                       Doing Laundry
                                                                          Fatiha
                                                            I have a TV in my Room!!

Note: The pictures of myself doing laundry and Fatiha are from Caitlin de Grouchy's camera. My own camera  has a crack in the screen and so any pictures I take are a gamble.

No comments:

Post a Comment